Back to news

League News

Press Report 07-01-2017

  • 08/01/17
  • By James Gill
Football image

What a way to start the New Year!!

Premier Division.

Whaley Bridge remain top of the league following their late goal away at Garswood. The Derbyshire locals were being held in Ashton-in-Makerfield right up until the 80th minute when Bridge struck and took the lead. The visitors now sit on 42 points, whilst Garswood remain bottom of the league.

It was annual groundhoppers and bloggers day at Ericstan Park as Wythenshawe took on Eagle Sports. It didn’t disappoint either as Town took the lead within five minutes before Eagle pulled level after around ten minutes. Eagle Sports would get two more before half-time to go in at the break up by three goals to one. Town pulled one back through a Niall Rhodes, a goal described as one of the best of the season, but it wasn’t enough to mount a comeback as Eagle got a fourth and final blow to the home side.

Styal took on local rivals Altrincham Reserves at the aptly-named Altrincham Road. And indeed, it was the Robins who came out victorious, winning by three goals to one and moving within touching distance of the top two.

Denton Town were the pick of the bunch today as they continued their fine form and put on one of the performances of the season. The Tameside natives were top notch as they defeated Malpas by 11 goals to nil at Heather Lea. Thomas Bane, Brian Matthews, Tom Murray, Nehru McKenzie (3), Gavin Salmon, Kamahl Wright (2), Daniel Hewitt and Steve Yarwood were responsible for the goals.

Crewe took on Congleton Vale at home in a fairly one-sided game. It was Vale who came out of the game with all three points courtesy of a two goal win. The result at the Cumberland Arena keeps Congleton challenging for the top positions in the table.

Rylands v Rudheath Social was postponed due to weather concerns.

Division One

The leaders, Warrington Town Reserves, were in action today at home to Lostock Gralam. However the game was abandoned due to a serious injury to one of the Grey Lambs’ players. All at the league wish him all the best and a speedy recovery.

Cheadle Town Reserves were the only team to play twice this week and they’re probably wishing they hadn’t played at all. The Stockport side were embarrassed twice away from home. First by losing 4-2 to a tired Billinge side on Monday afternoon who had played just two days prior and then away to fellow strugglers, Tarporley Victoria in a game that saw the team in green lose 4-2 once again. It’s a week the NWCFL side will be hoping to recover from to avoid the drop this season.

Pilkington put on a masterclass performance as they thrashed Mersey Valley 4-0 in Ashton-on-Mersey. Pilkington stay in third following the result but they move closer to both Billinge and Warrington at the top. Pilkington’s goals came via two braces, courtesy of Luke Sephton and Matt Taylor.

Grappenhall Sports were humbled away at Halebank as they lost 5-1. The side at the bottom of the table are fortunate to have a number of games in hand over Cheadle Town ahead of them and will be looking to move ahead of both Tarporley and Cheadle in the not-so-distant future.
Golborne Sports beat Daten FC by two goals at Stone Cross Lane to move up to ninth. The Atoms had a large percentage of the percentage but were unable to put anything into the goal – a fact that Golborne took full advantage of to come away with the win.

Middlewich were impressive despite a shaky second half as they took all three points from Egerton. The Witches went two goals up by half-time through goals from Michael Evans and Sam Wakefield before Egerton pulled one back in the second period of the game.

Division Two

Deva Christleton remain top after they beat a weakened Cuddington side by two goals to nil. The home side are two points clear of Windle Labour in second with an additional game still to play.

Ford Motors and Broadheath Central leapfrog Unicorn Atheltic this week following the Flixton side’s 5-3 loss away at Winstanley Warriors. It was Unicorn who took the lead early on and followed up with a second but it was all Warriors from then on. They pulled ahead to make it 3-2 when Unicorn drew level. This was short lived however as Winstanley got two more before full-time. On the whole, a day to forget for Athletic.

Ford and Broadheath both won, Motors put eight past a struggling Barnton Reserves side whilst Broadheath put two past Moore United – on both occasions the opponents just getting the one goal.

The final game of the week saw Maine Road host Windle Labour. The Manchester side did well to hold Windle to a draw, both sides got two goals apiece and the result sees Windle stay in second, two points off the top.

Cheshire CFA Amateur Cup – Fourth Round.
Four Cheshire League sides featured in the CCFA Amateur Cup this weekend as Linotype Cheadle took on AFC Macclesfield and Poynton took on Knutsford.

Linotype Cheadle and Poynton move into the next round of the cup following their wins as the league’s two remaining clubs in the competition.