Back to news

League News

Press Report 25-03-2017

  • 26/03/17
  • By James Gill
Football image

The Storks deliver a defeat to FC St Helens in thrilling derby clash!

PRESS REPORT – Cheshire Football League
Note: Due to time constraints, this week’s press report doesn’t cover the Reserve Divisions or cup games – there will be another report during the week to cover those.

Premier Division

Whaley Bridge extended their lead at the top of the Premier Division to ten points after they beat Wythenshawe Town by three goals to one. It was a joyous return from long-term injury for Bill Sutton, who picked up a brace for the Derbyshire side, Bridge captain Rob Newton got the other goal for the home side.

In another of the Premier Division’s biggest games, Linotype Cheadle Heath Nomads defeated Knutsford at Manchester Road by two goals to one. Goals from Askley Harrison and Kayle Power gave the side from SK8 the victory in Knutsford.

Denton Town dominated in Tameside as they beat Rudheath Social by six goals to nil. Three players for the home side picked up braces, Steve Yarwood, Gavin Salmon and Tom Murray, as Denton keep the gap behind Poynton to one point.

Poynton defeated Malpas with a late goal to close the gap on Altrincham to four points. Poynton lead for most of the game, before a late equaliser for Malpas looked set to make sure the sides shared the spoils. This however was short-lived as Poynton nicked a goal in the dying seconds to take the lead.

Garswood United moved off the bottom with a 2-0 victory over fellow strugglers, Greenalls Padgate St Oswalds. They leapfrog Styal and move themselves to within a win of safety. Styal drop to bottom following a 1-0 loss to Congleton Vale.
In the final Premier Division game, Rylands and Eagle Sports played out a one all draw in the Warrington derby as neither side is yet safe from relegation.

League One

AFC Macclesfield defeated Grappenhall Sports by three goals to nil at Stockport Sports Village. Goals from Jon Cavanagh, Tom Bowey and Jay Burgess gave the Stockport locals the victory. The result leaves Macc in a good position for the final weeks of the season.

Billinge defeated local rivals, FC St Helens, at Barrows Farm. Jon Redmond gave the home side the lead on 25 minutes. 65 minutes in, Liam Bowden struck a superb effort from difference to make it 2-to the Storks.

Cheadle Town Reserves and Tarporley Victoria both overtake Grappenhall with their draw at Park Road. A 2-2 stalemate in Cheadle mean that all three of the bottom sides sit on ten points, with Grappenhall having the inferior goal difference.
Daten defeated Egerton in Warrington as they move up to ninth in the table, ahead of Golborne and Middlewich. Goals from Dean Jennings, Christian Lawlor (2) and Neil McCormack gave the Atoms the win at Culceth Sports Club.

Mersey Valley fell victim to a late comeback from Halebank in Sale as they lost 1-2. A Dwayne Greenwood goal was cancelled out by goals from Ryan Brotherstone and Daniel Whalley.

League Two

Windle Labour remain top of the league as they beat Broadheath Central by two goals to one. Deva Christleton remain a point behind, after they thrashed Maine Road in South Manchester by five goals to nil.

Ford Motors defeated Moore United after coming back from a goal down to win 2-1. The visitors took the lead through player-manager, Joe Holt. Ford then pulled level before taking the lead to take home all three points. The home side’s goals came via Anthony Lyons and Gary Robinson.

Orford’s title hopes were handed a blow at home to Winstanley Warriors. In fact, it was the home side who took the lead early on. But a warrior-like performance (excuse the pun) from Winstanley gave the visitors a 4-1 victory in Warrington.