Back to news

League News

Altrincham hit seven!

  • 23/10/19
  • By Dan Whelan
Football image

Windle close the gap and Greenalls Reserves go top

Altrincham Reserves have now scored 13 in their last two games as they slammed seven past Egerton on Saturday.
After last weekend’s 6-1 cup victory over Old Stoconians Alty arrived at Egerton with their shooting boots still firmly laced to their feet.
Max Pouncey helped himself to a first half hat-trick as the visitors took a commanding 5-1 lead into the break.
Two further goals in the second half, including a fourth for Pouncey, added a layer of gloss to the score line as Alty moved up to fourth in the league with 16 points from their first eleven games.
Egerton currently sit bottom on six points from ten games and after the match manager Jim Cherneski left the club to be replaced by Doug Pringle.
Whaley Bridge threw away a two-goal lead as they had to settle for a point away at FC St Helens. Captain Bill Sutton continued his good goal-scoring form with a first half double but second half strikes from Kyle Ross and Joe McKeegan earned the hosts a share of the spoils.
Przemek Staniszewski’s goal proved to be all Greenalls Padgate needed to clinch a narrow win against ring-rusty Eagle Sports whose last game was almost a month ago.
Red cards for Lewis McEvatt and James Waldron did little to help the visitors’ cause.
Knutsford fell to their third consecutive league defeat as Billinge’s Chris Cottington sent the travelling Storks home happy.
In Cup matters Daten and Poynton both lost in LFA Amateur Shield and the Stockport Senior Cup respectively whilst there was better luck for Broadheath Central who ran out 6-5 winners against Chester Nomads in the CCFA Cup second round; Thomas Carr and Jake Goulden each grabbing a brace.
In the same competition Lostock Gralam travelled to Mellor and won comfortably by six goals to one.
Windle Labour benefitted from two 5-1 score lines as they closed the gap at the top of the League One table.
A Ryan Cook hat-trick helped them to a 5-1 victory over Moore United while league leaders Winstanley were on the wrong end of a 5-1 thrashing when they were humbled by Ashton Athletic Reserves; Harry Johnson the hat-trick hero in that one.
Those results mean that Winstanley and Windle sit first and second with 19 points.
The day’s other league fixture was a goalless draw played out between Garswood United and Maine Road Reserves.
There was some cup success for League One sides not least for Cheadle Town Reserves who got the better of higher league opposition in the form of Poynton; a double from Tokia Russell helped them to a 3-1 which takes them into the next round of the Stockport Senior Cup.
Cheadle Heath Nomads Reserve’s Stockport Senior Cup odyssey ended at the first hurdle when they lost 2-1 to Old Alts.
Elsewhere in the cup Malpas hit seven past Chester Nomads Reserves while Vulcan edged out League Two side Knowsley South by the odd goal in five.
There was no league action in League Two in a weekend given over entirely to pursuits of silverware.
By and large it was a good day for Cheshire League representatives with Holmes Chapel Hurricanes the stand out performers after winning 10-1 against the hapless Crewe Town Jaguars in the Mid-Cheshire District Cup. There were also victories Newton Athletic in the Chester DFA Cup – 4-0 at Blacon Youth Reserves – and Winnington in the Mid-Cheshire District Cup – 3-1 at Lostock Gralam Reserves.
Partington also advanced, by way of a penalty shootout, after their Northern Cup first round match with Duckinfield Town ended 3-3 after normal time. It was also a good day for Sandbach United reserves who won 2-1 over Crewe FC reserves in the Mid-Cheshire District Cup.
Knowsley narrowly lost out to League One Vulcan while Hartford were thumped 8-0 at home to Halfway Athletic.
Reserve Divisions One and Two were also dominated by cup action with the reserves of Middlewich, Styal, Eagle Sports, Vulcan all winning.
In the only league games to take place this weekend Greenalls Padgate ran out 3-1 winners against Moore United to go top of Reserve Division Two (Oliver Hill, Lewis Kirkpatrick and Dylan Hunt with the goals) while Broadheath A and Golborne Sports played out a 1-1 draw; goals from James Foster and Josh Scott respectively.