Back to news

League News

Matchday Report for Saturday 14.03.2020

  • 15/03/20
  • By Brian Rowe
Football image

Matchday Report

Report for Week Ending Saturday 14.03.2020

All five scheduled matches went ahead this week.

On the League front, on paper the clash of the week was between the top two teams, with the current leaders Oyster Reserves visiting second placed Ramsey & Mistley 1st XI. As these two teams were only separated by goal difference, a victor would mean that they would head the table by three points. Oyster led the match 2-1 at the break before going on to win 3-2; on their score sheet were Ethan Ward and Dominic Mosses with a brace.

Of the other League matches, Langham Lodgers who were third entertained mid table Stanway Athletic Reserves and won 3-0, with Wayne Lamb, James Whitnell and a Barry Sage penalty on their score sheet. Ramsey & Mistley Reserves in fifth visited fourth from bottom Tollesbury Reserves with the match being played at Shrub End. Ramsey ran out the easy 9-1 victors after leading 5-0 at the break. Ben Frost netted the Tollesbury consolation, whilst the Ramsey score sheet read Jamie Cook with a hat trick, doubles from Robert Cant and Brian Seager and efforts from Gary Merchant and Liam Winter. The other League match was a very tight affair and featured Mersea Island Reserves hosting Tiptree Engaine ‘A’. The match finished at 2-1 to the away side with substitute Kyran Benjamin netting for Mersea.

After being re-scheduled several times the outstanding Charlie Pullen Memorial League Knock Out Cup quarter final game between Parkeston Welfare Park and Sporting Rebels finally went ahead, and saw Sporting Rebels ease to a comfortable 10-1 victory and a place in the Semi-Finals, where they will meet Ramsey & Mistley Reserves. Sporting were leading 4-0 at the break with goals from Ryan Ivell on five minutes, Sam Reeve on twenty-three minutes, Ruaidhri Kavanagh on thirty-one minutes and minute later Sam Reeve added his second of the game. Ten minutes into the second period an Alfie Towsey penalty made it five, before further goals at regular intervals increased the Sporting goal count to ten, with Ruaidhri Kavanagh grabbing his second after twenty minutes of the second period, Kain Schoeman on thirty minutes, and seven minutes later Alfie Towsey had hit his second of the game, before Sam Reeve completed his hat trick. and a Martin Mina effort came in the final minutes of the game.

Brian Rowe