Back to news

League News

Matchday Report for Saturday 14.09.2019

  • 14/09/19
  • By Brian Rowe
Football image

Matchday Report

Report for Week Ending Saturday 14.09.2019

Another six League matches took place this week.

Leaders Sporting Rebels were at home to Ramsey & Mistley Reserves, and won 4-2 to retain the top spot and preserve their 100% record. Langham Lodgers who were third entertained Tollesbury Reserves, and although winning 4-1 with goals from Liam Roberts, Barry Sage and a James Whitnell brace drop to fourth. Nathan Biggs netting the Tollesbury consolation. Oyster Reserves who visited Tiptree Engaine ‘A’ jump above them following their 8-0 away victory after leading 4-0 at the break; to also maintain their 100% start and a plus fifteen goal difference from the two games that they have played. Their target men this week were Daniel Rampton with three, Ryan Christian with two. Dominic Mosses, Luke Perkins and substitute Owen Stedman netted the other three goals.

Elsewhere, fifth placed Ramsey & Mistley 1st team won 5-2 at home against bottom side Stanway Athletic Reserves, and Stoke by Nayland picked up their first points with a4-2 victory at Parkeston Welfare Park.

The other game at the Glebe saw Mersea Island Reserves take on second placed Abbey Fields. Against the run of play Mersea took a twelve-minute lead when Rory Green curled a twenty-five-yard left foot free kick around the Abbey wall to net. However, just on the thirty-minute mark Abbey were back level when Danny Omuoreh hit home the first of two penalties despite the Mersea keeper Lewis Johnson getting a hand to the ball. Abbey went ahead on thirty-seven minutes when Ollie MacDonald was the first to react slotting home after another save from the Mersea keeper. Abbey held this lead until fifteen minutes after the restart when despite an earlier sight of goal Rory Green was allowed time and space to crack home from thirty yards to make the score line 2-2. Abbey were back in front just four minutes later when second half substitute Alexander Anzalone hooked home following a corner. With just three minutes left they appeared to have made the game safe when Danny Omuoreh netted the second of his two penalties. However, there was still time left for Rory Green to claim his hat trick following an interchange of passes inside the penalty area; However, Mersea were unable to add a fourth goal as Abbey held on for the 4-3 win and the points to maintain their unbeaten record and maintain second spot in the table.