Back to news

League News

Matchday Report for Saturday 18.01.2020

  • 18/01/20
  • By Brian Rowe
Football image

Matchday Report

Report for Week Ending Saturday 18.01.2020

Five League matches were scheduled this week, however the Parkeston Welfare Park fixture against Tollesbury Reserves was lost on Friday morning as the Welfare Park pitch was waterlogged, and also the second versus top game Ramsey & Mistley 1st XI against leaders Oyster Reserves became another casualty of the weather as the Ramsey Recreation Ground pitch was also waterlogged.

Of the three games that did get played however, Langham Lodgers who were third hosting fourth from bottom Stoke by Nayland at Langham Community Centre were held to a scoreless first half in a match where both teams cancelled each other out and with neither side being to find the net, The game changed early in the second half with three goals in three minutes inside the first seven minutes, First, Stoke took the lead on fifty minutes when Tom Mundy headed home a Paul Shaw corner, but Langham equalised a minute later as Jonathan David Stevens turned the ball home after a defensive mix up, and then took a 2-1 lead when Liam Roberts shot home. They went further ahead after seventy-one minutes with James Whitnell shooting home from fifteen yards. It was game on with just fifteen minutes left as Stoke pulled one back as Liam Druce left on side ran on thirty-five yards before scoring. In a carbon copy substitute did exactly the same for Langham to make the final score line 4-2 to Langham. Langham with this win now take over second spot, just a point behind the leaders and crucially with a game in hand.

Fourth placed Sporting Rebels were away at third from bottom Stanway Athletic Reserves, and ended the match the comfortable 4-0 winners with a brace from Martin Mina, and efforts from Alfie Towsey and Tommy-Lee Morgan, and now move into third spot.

And in the other match played, a rejuvenated mid table Ramsey & Mistley Reserve side visited the Glebe, Mersea to take on fellow mid table side Mersea Island Reserves. Ramsey went ahead on twenty-five minutes with a thirty-five-yard thunderbolt shot from Peter Wilson, with the Mersea keeper pulling of a superb save ten minutes later to push the ball onto the post to keep the score line at 1-0 to Ramsey at the break. Ramsey added three more goals in the second period through Gary Merchant, Brian Seager and Liam Winter, to the one from Mersea to make the final score line 4-1 to Ramsey.

Brian Rowe

Matchday Report - Download / Open