Back to news

League News

Matchday Report for Saturday 08.02.2020

  • 08/02/20
  • By Brian Rowe
Football image

Matchday Report

Report for Week Ending Saturday 08.02.2020

There were two League Knock Out Cup games played this week with two Quarter Final games and the one outstanding First round game. In the Quarter Final games, second placed Oyster Reserves hosted Langham Lodgers who were fourth. Oyster took an early sixth minute lead when Dominic Mosses headed home an Aaron Perkins long throw. Playing a long ball game, Langham restored parity on seventeen minutes as Ross Richardson hit home a loose ball that the Oyster defence had failed to clear properly following another long throw. Oyster keeper Daniel Cowan pulled of a great double save on thirty three minutes to keep the scores level, but Langham were not to be denied as just four minutes later they went in front when captain Barry Sage won his header from a long ball from his keeper and his looping shot landed in the Oyster nett to give Langham a 2-1 lead which they held onto through to the break. Oyster rallied and got themselves back into the game on seventy minutes when the Langham keeper misjudged a high cross only to palm the ball to Ethan Ward who calmly slotted home for a 2-2 score line. However, the score line only stayed level for three minutes before Barry Sage pounced on a loose ball in the Oyster box to hit home his second goal of the game to give Langham a 3-2 victory.

In the other Quarter Final game, fourth from bottom Tollesbury Reserves lost 6-0 at home to third placed Ramsey & Mistley 1st XI. Christopher Stratton gave them a 1-0 half time lead before he added another two more in the second half, along with a brace from Ben Allington and another from Jevon Farmery. Leaders Sporting Rebels thrashed visiting Mersea Island Reserves 12-2, in the outstanding First round game. On their score sheet was Martin Mina with a four timer, Tommy Rose, Sean James and Kain Schoeman with doubles and efforts from Alfie Towsey and George Russell. Ben Hughes and Sean Walker found the nett for Mersea.

Ramsey & Mistley Reserves received a bye into the Semi-Finals following the withdrawal of the Stoke by Nayland side.

On the League front, second from bottom Parkeston Welfare Park were due to hosted the side who were three points and three places above them, Tiptree Engaine ‘A’, however Tiptree were unable to raise a side due to call offs in their First and Reserve teams, and so had to forfeit the game. In the other League game mid table Stanway Athletic Reserves were away at the side immediately above them, but who were crucially eleven points clear of them Ramsey & Mistley Reserves, and crashed to a heavy 11-1 defeat, after being behind 7-1 at the break On the Ramsey score sheet were Gary Merchant with a hat trick, and efforts from Peter Wilson, Liam Winter, Azeez Saliu, Daniel Clarke, Thomas Allen. Luke Byrne, Jamie Cook and Jimmy Morrison.

As the Stoke by Nayland First team have withdrawn from the League without playing 75% of their League fixtures their record has been expunged according to League Rules. Most Clubs will therefore see a loss of point sand a change in their goal difference in the adjusted League table.

Brian Rowe

Matchday Report - Download / Open