Back to news

League News

Matchday Report for Saturday 22.02.2020

  • 22/02/20
  • By Brian Rowe
Football image

Matchday Report

Report for Week Ending Saturday 22.02.2020

Five League games were scheduled for this week. Leaders Sporting Rebels were scheduled to take on mid table Tiptree Engaine ‘A’ but their game was in doubt due to the pitch conditions of their home ground at Plough Corner, but despite sterling efforts from Sporting and was eventually called off late on the Saturday morning. With the leader’s game postponed, second placed Oyster Reserves hosting Mersea Island Reserves in the Mersea derby, were looking to go back to the top, and duly did so with a 4-0 victory, with a double from Daniel Rampton, and efforts from Dominic Mosses and substitute Ethan Ward., after leading 2-0 at the break

Third placed Ramsey & Mistley 1st XI welcomed sixth placed Abbey Fields to Furze Hills, and in a wind affected game, it was Abbey that opened the scoring against the run of play on twenty minutes with a Joe Durbridge wind assisted thirty-five-yard shot. The game then suddenly swung into life with two Ramsey goals inside a minute. First, Ben Allington shot across the Abbey keeper into the opposite corner on twenty-two minutes, and then his strike partner and captain, Chris Stratton pounced onto a through ball to slot home from the edge of the area. On twenty-eight minutes it was 3-1 as Stratton repeated the performance for his second goal of the match, and he completed his hat trick on thirty-seven minutes with a penalty. He made the score line 5-1 on forty minutes slotting home a loose ball following a corner before Ben Allington added his second of the game on forty-three minutes for a half time lead of 6-1. Abbey pulled a goal back seven minutes after the restart when Durbridge netted his second, turning in a loose ball that had rebounded back from the Ramsey cross bar. Two defensive errors however inside a minute in the sixty ninth and seventieth minutes allowed Ramsey to storm to an 8-2 lead through Chris Stratton with his fifth goal and another from Thomas Farthing. Durbridge completed his hat trick for Abbey on seventy-seven minutes picking up a long throw from Rhys Callely to shoot home from fifteen yards. But, two further goals came inside the last five minutes; on eighty-five minutes Chris Stratton completed his double hat trick running from his own half to bring down a long clearance from his keeper and then with his second touch volley home above the advancing Abbey keeper. A minute later Abbey were awarded the second penalty of the game, duly slotted home by Kieron Tasker following a foul on Joe Durbridge for a final 9-4 score line in the favour of the Ramsey & Mistley 1st XI in a game very well refereed by Referee Rob Giles in the testing conditions.

Sixth placed Langham Lodgers saw off Parkeston Welfare Park 7-0, with a hat trick from Scott Spittal, one of which was a penalty, a brace from James Whitnell, another penalty from Barry Sage and an effort from Ross Richardson. In the other game, Stanway Athletic Reserves now in mid table entertained second from bottom Tollesbury Reserves. However, it was the visitors that emerged victorious 4-3, with a double from Lewis Biggs, and efforts from player-manager Ben Frost, and one from Reece Willmott.

Ramsey & Mistley Reserves who were fifth were without a game.

Brian Rowe

Matchday Report - Download / Open