Back to news

League News

Matchday Report for Saturday 07.12.2019

  • 08/12/19
  • By Brian Rowe
Football image

Matchday Report

Report for Week Ending Saturday 07.12.2019

The two Amos Cup Semi-Finals were staged at the University of Essex, and featured Stoke by Nayland against the Ramsey & Mistley 1st Team. Ramsey took an early sixth minute lead through Ben Allington heading home after a clearance by the Stoke keeper. Stoke pressed forward for an equaliser after this set back but it was Ramsey who went further ahead, doubling their lead on twenty minutes when Tom Simpson shot across the Stoke keeper into the opposite top corner. Stoke pulled a goal back on thirty-five minutes when Andrew Spencer drilled in a low shot from the edge of the area. However just four minutes later were 3-1 up as Allington added his second of the game shooting home at the second attempt. On the stroke of half time Ramsey went 4-1 up through Stewart McFarlane. It was game over four minutes after the restart with Tom Simpson added his second of the game turning in a right wing cross. 5-1 became 6-1 on sixty-three minutes as Ben Allington completed his hat trick with a left foot shot from the edge of the area, with just a minute left Stewart McFarlane added his second of the game to round of the scoring and book the Ramsey & Mistley 1st Team a place in the Final.

The other Semi-Final between Sporting Rebels and Langham Lodgers failed to produce a result, being abandoned by the Referee after thirty-three minutes.

On the League front with leaders Sporting Rebels involved in Cup action, second placed Oyster Reserves who were away at second from bottom Tollesbury Reserves were looking to gain the point needed to take them to the top of the table. They duly went top of the table after leading 4 -1 at the break, romping to a 7-1 victory with their goals coming from Daniel Rampton who hit five and Dominic Mosses with a brace, one of which was a penalty. Harry Clover netted the Tollesbury consolation effort.

Fifth placed Abbey Fields visited sixth placed Ramsey & Mistley Reserves with both sides looking to close the gap on the teams above them. It was Abbey who emerged with the points after leading 1-0 at the break with a Donnell Henry goal. Ramsey got back level in the second half through Thomas Allen. However, despite hitting the bar and the post they could not find the back of the net again and it was Abbey who stole the points with two further goals, one from Peter Harvey and the other a sublime forty yard lob from Joe Durbridge.

The other scheduled league game with Parkeston Welfare Park due to host the Tiptree Engaine ‘A’ team was postponed earlier in the week as the heavy rain had made the Parkeston pitch unplayable.