Back to news

League News

Matchday Report for Saturday 15.02.2020

  • 15/02/20
  • By Brian Rowe
Football image

Matchday Report

Report for Week Ending Saturday 15.02.2020

It was back to League Action this week for the Colchester and East Essex football teams this week, with just four points separating the top five points at the start of the day.

It was top versus bottom as leaders Sporting Rebels took on the bottom side Mersea Island Reserves, however as their Plough Corner ground was deemed unplayable the match was switched to Dovercourt Sports Centre. Unfortunately, this game was called off late on Saturday as the away side could not raise enough players.

Over at Langham it was meant to be fourth against third with Langham Lodgers due to host the Ramsey & Mistley 1st XI, however this game was all called off, on Friday, due to the conditions of the Langham pitch.

At Furze Hills, fifth placed Ramsey & Mistley Reserves saw their game also called off on Saturday as second from bottom Tollesbury Reserves were another side that were unable to raise enough players.

Two games did take place however, with second placed Oyster Reserves at home entertaining third from bottom Parkeston Welfare Park at the Glebe, and Stanway Athletic Reserves taking on Tiptree Engaine ‘A’ at Philip Morant School.

Oyster Reserves went top with a 6-1 victory over Parkeston Welfare Park after leading 2-1 at the break. On their score sheet it was Daniel Rampton with a hat trick, and Kieren Lee, Dominic Mosses and Owen Stedman with the other three.

Stanway Athletic Reserves took a twentieth minute lead through a Sutton Davies thirty-yard drive but Tiptree made it all square again ten minutes later when a deep cross from Ashley Turner evaded the Stanway keeper to sail into the net. Stanway took the lead again with six minutes to go to the break when new signing Jacob Mateer squared for Samuel Hunt to slot home from twelve yards. Stanway took this lead into the break and in a scrappy second half affected by the increasing rain it took to the last quarter before the score line changed, when captain Daniel Chapman increased the Stanway lead to 3-1 shooting home on seventy minutes, and with just a minute left he made it 4-1 netting following a corner.

Brian Rowe

Matchday Report - Download / Open