Back to news

League News


  • 29/01/16
  • By cg
Football image

WEEK TWELVE Burnley College 18th FEBRUARY 2016

Thursday League Review
18th February 2016
League Week Eleven
Gisburn PR 4 - 3 Railway Madrid
Following a run of three successive defeats Gisburn PR got back to winning ways against an in form Railway Madrid who went into the game looking for their third successive win.
Madrid were on fire from the start and immediately hit the ground running with their midfield marshalled by the cultured Adam Davies finding their passing range with Gisburn unable to get near the ball.
Within two minutes is was 1-0. As Michael Butler floated past two challenges he played a perfect through ball to Danny Morville who smashed the ball in with a classy finish.
As Gisburn tried to regroup they were obviously shocked and from the restart were on the back foot again as Madrid were now playing with a swagger with Butler at the centre of their play.
It was therefore no surprise when Butler grabbed the second Madrid goal as the Gisburn defence backed off he took the ball to the edge of the area before dispatching the ball clinically in the corner to make it 2-0 with only 5 minutes on the clock.
The substitution that led to Mareck taking to the pitch changed the dynamic of the game. Suddenly Gisburn were on the front foot as Mareck stormed down the left wing riding challenges and causing the Madrid back line all sorts of problems.
A now under pressure Madrid defence were making mistakes and as Lee Judson ran through he was brought down 5 yards outside the area. Judson himself lined up to take the free kick and hit a wonderful angled drive into the far corner giving Peter Carroll in goal no chance.
Within two minutes it was 2-2 as a cross from Mareck on the left was forced home by Chris Sharman at the near post to level it up as the teams turned around at half time.
Madrid again started the second half the stronger and within a minute they re-took the lead as Christian Porter bravely finished just inside the area to make it 3-2.
The game now settled into a midfield battle as Madrid were determined not to lose the lead again and with Gisburn wary of conceding a fourth they were probing with little or no effect until Mario Hurst upped the ante as he received the ball twenty yards out on the right and hit a screamer that was tipped onto the post by Carroll. Although the ball didn't go in, the passage of play seemed to re-instil Gisburn with confidence whilst Madrid started to look a little nervous.
Moving into the final quarter of the game Gisburn were well on top searching for another equaliser and as Sharman linked with Lee McCardle on the left Judson burst through to take the ball in his stride to grab his second and Gisburns' third of the game to equalise.
Amazing how the game had been turned on its head but now the Gisburn players' tails were up and it was that man Judson again who completed his hat trick as Sharman crossed from the left somehow the ball landed at Judson's feet through a melee of players and he made no mistake to complete his hat trick and win the game for Gisburn in a dramatic turn around.
Brilliant game played in a great atmosphere.