Back to news

League News

Match Reports from Sunday 7th December

  • 09/12/14
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image
Football image
Football image

Sudden Death Shoot-out for Soldiers Return

Soldiers Return took on Bournemouth Sports in the Hampshire Sunday Intermediate Cup third round on Sunday. Soldiers dominated the opening half but only managed to convert one of their chances into a goal by Stuart Cubbage. The visitors rode the storm, getting an equaliser before the interval. In the second half Cubbage completed his brace, to edge Soldiers ahead but Bournemouth Sports scored twice to take the lead 2-3. Ellis Hauman popped up with the hosts' equaliser near the end, full-time score 3-3. The game went to penalties, with the first nine taken all unstoppable. The final penalty was therefore sudden death and the Soldiers' keeper stepped up to take it and missed. Final score 3-3 full-time, 4-5 on penalties to Bournemouth Sports.

Dayers Fine Foods fared better in the opening round of the Andover Presidents Cup, taking on and beating Antons Arms 3-1 in what turned out to be a straightforward win. Alex Brown completed a sweet hat-trick in what was only Dayers' second victory of the season.

In Division 1 action there were three matches. Republic of Chineham effortlessly turned over Kaiser Wessex 5-0, while South View went down at home in a high-scoring 3-8 defeat to Oakley.

Tron set up their third straight home win when they beat Basingstoke Saints, who didn't quite bring their recent normal game with them, 2-0. Tron's goals came from Michael Moray and Ciani Thomas.

It was a case of leaders playing hosts to second place in Division 2, when FC Everest entertained UWS and sent them away licking their wounds following a 4-1 result. FC Everest extend their lead in the division, remain unbeaten and are on a current run of seven straight wins.

In a competitive game at North Warnborough Two, John Peridot beat two players and slotted home his drive into the corner of the net for the opening goal after ten minutes. However, RAF Odiham Blades managed to level five minutes before half-time with Nick Burrows netting following a lightning breakaway. Ryan Thorpe made it 2-1 for the hosts shortly after half-time and the game remained closely contested until, with ten minutes to go, Thorpe secured the winner, 3-1. This victory lifts promoted North Warnborough Two to second in the table.

Chineham Athletic were at home in their match against bottom-of-Division 3 side DG Athletic, but soon found themselves a goal down, Kirk Good scoring for the second week running. Athletic bounced back from that set-back, with braces from Dan Gomar and Ben Owen, plus a single from Ollie Owen, to triumph 5-1.

Eastrop Eagles beat AFC Golden Lion 5-2. Kirk Smith opened the scoring for Eagles and Keith Davies got the second in a one on one with the keeper. Paul Adams scored a simple tap in. Nathan Bennis scored from the edge of the box and Adams netted his second of the game. Golden Lion's goals came from Jamal Miah and Aaron Burt, who's shot cannoned off the keeper and defender into the net.

Soldiers Return Reserves faced Basing United for the second league match this season. The visitors were on top throughout and scored the first two goals 0-2, both from James Graham. The home side pulled a goal back before Graham completed his hat-trick, 1-3 at half-time. Soldiers Return missed a penalty, which was saved by Dean Nurse in the Basing goal. Soldiers Return did pull one back to narrow the gap to 2-3 but then Basing restored their cushion from the penalty spot 2-4, and added a further goal 2-5 before the end. In addition to Graham's hat-trick, Lee Donovan and Lewis Hall netted. The home side's goals were scored by Joe Allnutt and Connor Izzo, in a 2-5 final result. Basing United have completed the league double over Soldiers Return Reserves.

Team FC were taken down to the wire by visitors Chineham Reserves, with Team edging the result 5-4, with braces from Mike Thomas and Ryan Stevens plus a Mark Frost single. Adam Ennis, Serge Holland, Jacob Deakin and Kyle Buckland replied for Chineham. Team FC are on flying form, seven games unbeaten, including six wins on the trot, and retain their unbeaten home record.