Back to news

League News

Saints press Filters' resistance

  • 22/01/19
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Basingstoke & District League Match Reports from Sunday 20th January, By Tony Spencer.

Basingstoke Saints had 90% of the play and chances on Sunday in their home North Hants Chris Price Cup tie but the Lee Filters' keeper made some good saves in a goalless first half, writes Tony Spencer. Saints kept plugging away but only managed the one goal to show, taken well by Jake Rudge who nodded in from a set piece early in the second half. Saints go through with the only goal of the game.

Chineham Cavaliers drew 1-1 at home to Sportsman, who have an unbeaten record this season in league and cup in Division 2 of the Winchester & District League. However, Cavaliers beat them 3-1 in the penalty shoot out to take their unbeaten matches to five and secure a place in the next round.

Chineham Reserves beat AMF United from Division 2 Andover League 5-1, a remarkable result considering that in 16 league and cup matches up to this point AMF had won 14, drew 1, lost 1, scoring 53 goals and conceding 21 goals. Chineham's goals from Josh Dickins, Charlie Hill, Alex Izzo brace and Joe Marsh.

In the North Hants Senior Cup Quarter-finals Soldiers Return could only manage one goal, scored by Craig Williamson, in their 1-4 home defeat to AFC Allbrook of the Winchester & District League.

Team FC beat Arms SMB of Andover, who had won ten of their last eleven, 6-2. Team started aggressively from the first whistle, put Arms under enormous pressure all over the pitch, and took the lead when Mark Frost played the ball over the top down the left wing and Connor McKenzie took two touches fired home across into the bottom right corner. Stu Urquhart connected well from a McKenzie corner hit the crossbar, but Arms weren’t so lucky next time when unmarked Urquhart tucked away the second with a tap in. Arms grabbed a late goal to finish the first half 2-1, Team continued the pressure and won a free kick on the edge of the area that Tennant neatly tucked away into the bottom left corner. On the hour fresh sub Jamie Hope met an inch-perfect cross from McKenzie with a powerful header to make it 4-1. Luke Chatee was on 5 minutes before he picked up a loose ball on the edge of the area to tuck it away bottom left for 5-1. To round off an incredible performance McKenzie raced down the left beating his man, unselfishly squared to Hope for a tap in to make it 6-2. Massive result for the Basingstoke cup specialists and progress into the semis.

In the first half of the Kempshott and Camrose Social's tie, the hosts commanded the game, leading 2-1 at the interval, thanks to goals from Jack Sedgwick and Aaron Chapman. The second half was edged by the visitors who had to come back from a second strike by Sedgwick before Camrose led 3-4 and looked set for victory. With the last play of the 90, Kempshott's Luke Ambrose scored from a free kick to take it to penalties, in which Kempshott prevailed, 4-4 full-time, 4-1 on penalties. Scoring from the spot were Sedgwick, Matt Osborne, Adam Alliston and Luke Ambrose for Kempshott. Camrose Social's goals from Chris Waller, Matthew Foreman with a brace and Gareth Slade, the one penalty converted by Waller.

New Park Rangers beat Andover Division 2 side Station Athletic 4-2 in their North Hants John Ward Cup Quarter-finals tie. A hat-trick from Ben Blackwell and single Stan Currie strike secured a place in the semis and a run of eight matches unbeaten.

AFC Laarsens started their tie away at Overton United very positively, following their dismal display last week, pressing Overton high and keeping them on the back foot. Costen and Lagdon each came close after through balls from the Laarsens' midfield trio of Wilson, Condon and Aldoori. Laarsens' pressure came to fruition when a Laith Aldoori cross was flicked on by Lagdon and buried by Costen at the back post. The visitors grabbed a second shortly after, Wilson's cross treated as a carbon copy of the first by Lagdon and Costen. Laarsens were cruising and when Samie Aldoori slipped in Bloma for a one v one the game looked over, foiled by the home keeper's great save. Shortly before half time Overton pulled one back with a great goal, 1-2 half-time and all to play for. Straight from the whistle Laarsens piled on the pressure with Bloma, Englefield and Samie Aldoori missing golden opportunities, before Bloma flicked a Laith Aldoori cross through the keeper's legs, 1-3. Laarsens were cruising until a controversial penalty was converted 2-3. Overton drew level 3-3 following a corner gifted to them by an O'Brien mis-kick. Laarsens squandered countless chances until Bloma latched on to a Wilson pass for 3-4, then the visitors doubled their lead on the break 3-5, a Keith Tucker pass found substitute Jake Hardy in space. He controlled, carried the ball 10 yards and calmly lobbed the Overton keeper from 25 yards. Laarsens sealed the 3-6 victory after Costen was pushed and penalty given. Denying Costen or Bloma their hattricks, Jubril Borishade claimed the ball under his shirt and confidently slotted home. Overall a great performance by Laarsens.

Brookvale United were unable to add back to back wins when they found themselves 3-0 down at half-time in their Division 1 match away at North Warnborough, although they felt the score line didn’t reflect the run of play. Two of the goals were top class strikes, the third by Sean Hayes a fine strike from 35 yards into the top corner of the net. The first goals were a brace by Morgan Davies in the 10th and 30th minutes. Scott Nelson had Vale’s best chance in the opening half but blasted over when through one on one from a well-placed Adie Mosdell pass. So Boro had a commanding lead 3-0 at the interval. The second half was excellent end to end play and the visitors' efforts were rewarded on about 65 minutes when Ash Peck pulled one back for 'Vale, struck across the keeper from an Adam Aimable long throw, 3-1. Chris Weight in 'Vale's goal had a moment to forget as he conceded a fourth goal, letting the ball run under his foot from a Tommy L’Heureux back pass, after a through ball from Dan Mellors allowed Hayes to pressure the defender. Aimable had two good chances to decrease the deficit for 'Vale, but in the 80th minute Hayes picked out Ryan Thorpe who lobbed Weight to finish 5-1 to the home side.