Back to news

League News

Match Reports from Sunday 25th January

  • 27/01/15
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Soldiers take down the Chute

Soldiers Return were on top form from first to last whistle in their Andover Presidents Cup tie away at FC Chute United on Sunday. The visitors dominated the opening minutes and took the lead with a devastating Warren Hill chip into the box from which Alex Izzo buried in the back of the net from close range. Then Freddie Cloke added a second with a header and Paul Couchman shot home from distance to set up a 0-3 half-time scoreline. The second half was much more even, with Chute increasingly frustrated by not finding a way through to reduce the deficit. Andrew Darmody came on as substitute for the final quarter of an hour, and scored a brace in the last ten minutes, giving a final emphatic scoreline of 0-5. Soldiers Return have been drawn away to AFC Wolversdene in the quarter-final, to be played next week.

In the other tie, Tron entertained Dayers Fine Foods in a quarter-final match, beating them 4-1, with goals from Gregor Restell, Ross Cook with a brace, and Charlie Palmer. Tron's have won six games on the trot in this, their second win over Dayers this season. Tron will now play either AFC Wolversdene or Soldiers Return in the semi-final.

In Division 1, Republic of Chineham enjoyed a 5-0 win over Oakley, giving them the league double and an additional cup victory over their opposition this season.

Basingstoke Saints are not playing well at the moment and it is becoming hard keeping their spirits up with seven matches left and only the avoidance of relegation to play for. They fell two goals behind against league leaders Lamb Inn, but fought back to 2-2 at halftime. The visitors were also on a poor run, with a string of 4 defeats, despite still being top of the league.

Saints had a chance to take the lead after the break but didn't take it and the game ran away from them after that, finishing in a 3-7 win for Lamb Inn. Harry Rudge scored four goals for Lamb and opened his account with a volley. Mark Howells made it 0-2, before they were pegged back to level. In the second half, Rudge scored three more goals, with Steve Gonzales and Louis Vickery adding singles. Lamb even survived playing the last ten minutes with only ten men, with Saints perhaps too discouraged to take advantage.

Division 2 leaders FC Everest achieved the league double over their nearest rivals, visitors North Warnborough Two by 5-0, with the score 2-0 at half-time.

Hampshire Irons managed a 1-1 draw with UWS, their first point in five league games.

In a visit to Oakley Reserves, Chineham won 1-4, with Dan Greenwood Jake Burrows and a brace from Kieron Alleyne scoring for Chineham as they racked up a league double. Chineham, with games in hand, have a realistic chance of pipping North Warnborough to the runners-up spot.

RAF Odiham Blades were undone by 0-4 to visitors New Inn, who have racked up five games unbeaten and completed a whitewash double over bottom side Blades.

Chineham Reserves entertained Division 3 leaders Eastrop Eagles, losing 1-6, their single consolation goal from Tyler Andrews. Among Eagles' scorers were Keith Davis with a fine hat-trick and Josh Bromley with a single strike. This result takes Eagles to five wins in succession and ticked off a league double​ over Chineham Reserves.

AFC Golden Lion lost 1-6 to Soldiers Return Reserves, with the visitors beating them in both their league meetings this season. Cobi Judd opened the scoring for Soldiers midway through the first half, Joe Allnutt scored the first of his brace with a shot from 18 yard shot, while Pawel Derbot's shot from the edge of the area curled into the top corner to make it 0-3. Allnutt and Joss Buckingham took the score to 0-5 before Golden Lion replied, through Aaron Burt with 15 minutes to go. Buckingham finished off the scoring with his second strike of the morning.

Chineham Athletic were beaten 1-3 at home by Team FC.