Back to news

League News

Cup thriller sees Toth save 2 Penalties

  • 16/02/19
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Basingstoke & District League Match Reports from Sunday 10th February, By Tony Spencer.

With the rain last week arriving on top of the snow of the previous week, it was a wonder that only three matches were postponed on Sunday. However, six matches were completed. Two local sides, Soldiers Return, and Chineham contested this Hampshire Cup Quarter Final and it was Chineham who opened up a deserved two-goal lead at half time. However, it was a different tale in the second half with Soldiers Return dominating the second half. Ellis Hauman pulled a goal back, with his shot deflecting in off the goalkeeper. Fred Cloke then equalized from the penalty spot to take the tie to full time and penalties. It was Soldiers who triumphed in the shoot-out by 3-1. Luke Toth in goal for Soldiers saved two of the three penalties that Chineham missed. Kieron Alleyne and Samuel Ashton scored for Chineham.
In the John Ward Cup, AFC Laarsens emphatically beat Andover Central 6-0, with the help of Cian Condon's hat-trick, plus singles from Dan Bloma, Matt Wilson and sub Jubril Borishade
After falling 1-0 behind in their Division 1 match to visitors Hampshire Irons, Brookvale United pulled level before edging in front before half time with two strikes from Stuart Jarvis, the chances made by skipper Thomas L’Heureux and the impressive Sam Mosdell. In the second half Brookvale added a further nine goals, with two more from man of the match Jarvis, a first ever hat-trick for the pacey Sam Trodd, a hat-trick for top scorer Adam Aimable and a first goal of the season for Aaron Morris. Jarvis lifted his total to four and assisted five of the eleven goals. Manager Steve Sinclair handed debuts to Paul Dyson and Max Trodd who had fine games. Brodie Good took on the gloves and made some great saves in the ‘Vale goal too. This 11-2 win was the biggest in the club's history and fully avenges the 3-1 defeat by
Irons earlier in the season.
In Division 2 a first half goal from Kempshott's Alex Mitchell, was equalised by Overton United before the interval. It was a second half goal by Luke Ambrose that settled the game in favour of Kempshott 2-1.
Camrose Social beat Basingstoke Saints 4-1, with a hat-trick from Matt Foreman and Ryan Lupton single.
Chineham Cavaliers notched up a 9-0 victory over Shallow End.
The match between South Ham Saints and AFC Basing was abandoned in the 80th minute.