Back to news

League News

Match Reports from Sunday 18th January

  • 21/01/15
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Lamb chopped by Tron

The top two Division 1 sides met for the second time in three weeks on Sunday, writes Tony Spencer. This time Lamb Inn visited Tron in the North Hants Senior Cup and went down 4-0, the same scoreline as two weeks earlier in the league fixture. Ross Cook scored twice, added to by David Parry and Jamie Ebsworth.

Republic of Chineham were level in their tie 1-1 after extra time but lost 2-3 on penalties to Barton Stacey, who are the only unbeaten side in the top Andover division.

FC Everest also travelled to Andover to play Swallow in the North Hants Chris Price Cup and returned triumphant by 1-3.

In the North Hants John Ward Cup, Team FC travelled to Winchester to take on AFC Gecko, who are top of their Division 2 with a 100% record. The home side won 3-1. This was Team FC's first defeat in ten games.

New Inn were beaten 2-4 by Hampshire Irons in Division 2. For Irons this proved more than adequate revenge for a heavy defeat suffered on the opening day of the season as well as ending a dismal run of four defeats. The result meant that New Inn's run of three unbeaten games came to an end.

RAF Odiham Blades narrowly lost 2-3 to Chineham, who have done the league double over their rivals, each time by a single goal. Blades' scorers were James Hindmarsh and Sean Jones, while Chineham's goals were netted by Matt Kempson and Steve Emerson and aided by an own goal from the Blades' keeper.

Chineham Reserves were the best side throughout in their Division 3 match against visitors Soldiers Return Reserves, the final score of 4-0 reflecting their overall dominance. The visitors defended valiantly in the first half, delaying the opening goal until the 37th minute, but by half-time the hosts held a 2-0 lead. The second half was closely contested but an early third goal meant that Chineham Reserves had a comfortable cushion before a substitute scored the fourth. This result in some way recompensed for an earlier league defeat. Goalscorers were Scott Berry, Adam Everiss with two and Serge Holland.

DG Athletic went down 0-1 to AFC Golden Lion, the goal scored by Aaron Burt after the final ball was laid on a plate by Jim Isle. Not only have AFC done the league double over their Division 3 strugglers, but this was their first win in five matches.