Back to news

League News

Boro take the Brough with the smooth

  • 29/01/19
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Basingstoke & District League Match Reports from Sunday 27th January, By Tony Spencer.

North Warnborough travelled to take on Broughton Sports in the Andover Presidents Cup on Sunday, writes Tony Spencer, leading to a first half that was played end to end with countless keepers' saves while remaining scoreless. It was Henry Ransley who broke the deadlock on around 65 minutes, firing a shot from 36 yards into the top left corner of the net. Boro piled on constant pressure for 25 minutes, during which Luke Moreton crossed for Ryan Thorpe to head home with a spectacular diving header. Thorpe's second goal came five minutes later, then with 10 minutes to go, substitute Peter Keens had a clear chance to score before he squared to Thorpe to tap home for his hat-trick and a 0-4 cup victory, Boro's third win in a row.

Republic of Chineham crashed out of their Andover Presidents Cup tie, 1-5 at home to FC Wildebeest, ending a splendid run of 5 straight wins.

In the all-Basingstoke tie, Eastrop Eagles hosted Tadley Tigers. In a repeat of the fixture early in the season the club’s shared the points in a 2-2, on recent form Eagles had won only 1 in 5 while Tigers had won 3. So, it was Tigers who dominated early with Liam Belcher opening the scoring with a slotted drive into the bottom corner of the net for 0-1. Eagles looked to have responded with a penalty kick, but the taker skied it over the bar. Shortly after it was 0-2 to the visitors from a Jake Young free kick chipped into the top left-hand corner. Luke Allaston's header made it 0-3 by the interval. In the second half, Dave Siarey came on as substitute and rattled in a quick hat-trick. Luke Yelland lobbed the keeper for 0-7 before the final goal was slotted into the corner of the net by Thomas Etheridge.

In the Kelvin Cup quarter-final between two Andover sides, AFC Allbrook were beaten 0-5 by the awesome Tidworth Town.

One Division 1 match was played, a tight, wind assisted game between Hampshire Irons and Chineham. Irons had the wind with them in the first half and built up a lead, starting with an early own goal 1-0. The hosts made it 2-0 after Nicholas Tucker's pass went astray and possession fatally lost in the box. At half-time the wind advantage passed to the visitors. Matt Kempson fired in two goals to make it all square at 2-2 and Jamie Dockree snatched the winner in a perfect 2-3 come back.

AFC Laarsens kept possession neatly for the first 20 minutes in their Division 2 match at home to Kempshott but rarely created many chances. On current form each side had only lost 1 in 5. Kempshott were denied the lead with some great saves from Sean O'Brien early on. Laarsens woke up and had two efforts cleared off the line following corners from Laith Aldoori and Matty Wilson. The only goal of the game came 35 minutes in, a free kick was won by Bloma between the penalty area and halfway line. Wilson delivered a teasing ball which evaded everyone and ended up in the back of the net. Laarsens started the second half brightly and should have doubled the lead, with a Laith Aldoori cross being headed over from close range by brother Samie Aldoori. Condon, Wilson and Buckle kept up constant supply to Bloma, but he was unable to find the back of the net. In the end Laarsens defended well with Wheeler, Tucker, Mackinnon and Ebsworth all staying strong. This defeat for ended a 3-game unbeaten run for Kempshott

Chineham Reserves beat Chineham Cavaliers 4-2 with two braces from Alex Izzo and Joe Marsh. This league double event stretched Reserves' run to 4 games undefeated, while ending a 5-game unbeaten run by Cavaliers.

Shallow End's 2 match unbeaten run ended spectacularly in a 0-10 defeat by New Park Rangers, a league double event and a 9-match unbeaten run by the visitors. Dylan Bardell, Simon Harrison and Joe Hodge notched up braces, with singles from Hayden Chalker, Lucas Freer, Tom Starbuck, and substitute Nathan Barlow.