Back to news

League News

Match Reports from Sunday 2nd November

  • 05/11/14
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image
Football image
Football image

Only Seven Matches Survive Downpour

The torrential rain affected many County Cup matches last Sunday morning, with a large number of matches postponed until next week. This was the first weather disruption of the season, writes Tony Spencer. RAF Odiham Blades re-stage their match away at Bridgemary the following week.

In the Hampshire Sunday Intermediate Cup, Tron travelled to Baffins Milton Rovers, where they were narrowly defeated 5-4, their first defeat in six games. Tron's scorers were a hat-trick from Ross Cook and single netted by Michael Moray.

Barton Stacey, on their home soil, proved far too strong for South View, the visitors losing 13-2.

Soldiers Return took on Basingstoke Saints in the only all-Basingstoke tie. The home side edged into the lead as early as the tenth minute, when Warren Hill's cross was headed into the net by Paul Couchman. Soldiers Return dominated the first half but were unable to improve their lead, leaving the field ahead 1-0 at half-time. Ten minutes into the second half, though, and Saints were level 1-1. Soldiers were soon ahead again, this time from a Freddie Cloke through ball which allowed Alex Izzo to find the back of the net from 18 yards out, 2-1. Five minutes later, Saints again struck back to level at 2-2. Soldiers Return pressed once more determined to wrest back the initiative and they achieved it on 65 minutes after Couchman latched onto a through ball and lobbed the keeper from 45 yards. Izzo got his second goal from 12 yards out for 4-2 and with five minutes to go, another through ball by Cloke split the defence, leaving Kirby Jubb free and clear to beat the keeper. Final score 5-2. Basingstoke Saints' scorers were David Gibson and Matthew Cuthbertson.

Oakley Reserves pulled out of their Hampshire Sunday Junior A Cup early on Saturday night as they were unable to raise a team, leaving Chineham to go through to the third round on a walk-over. As it was the pitch was waterlogged and would have been called off anyway.

DG Athletic managed to make their wet pitch playable but were only able to score once, through Robbie Gregory, while their visitors Lee Community Centre rapped in seven to earn passage to the next level.

Duke of York proved too much of a handful for Chineham Reserves, beating the visitors 7-4. Clayton Andrews, James Maclean, Tom Green and Joe Marsh scored Chineham's goals.

Soldiers Return Reserves went down 2-4 at home to Wickham Dynamos, after being in the lead twice in the match. First, Sam Lochlan's chip came back off a defender for Pawel Durbot to head home, 1-0. After half an hour the visitors equalised, 1-1. Ben Allnutt restored the lead for
Soldiers 2-1, with another header whipped in from a corner. Again the Dynamos came back to level, 2-2. Durbot tested the keeper, who made a fine save, denying Soldiers a third lead, before Wickham broke away to take a 2-3 advantage through to half-time. The second half belonged to Wickham, who not only held onto their slim lead but got the only goal of the half to edge it 2-4.

There was only one league match to survive the rain, a Division 2 game between Hampshire Irons and FC Everest, the visitors winning comfortably 1-6. FC Everest stretch their lead in the division to nine points.