Back to news

League News

Soldiers Return twice from behind.

  • 19/09/18
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Basingstoke & District League Match Reports from Sunday 16th September, By Tony Spencer.

Hampshire Irons took the lead twice on Sunday but visitors Soldiers Return came from behind to secure a first win in their Division 1 campaign, writes Tony Spencer. Jordan Grant set Mike Pemberton up for Iron's opener, but Freddie Close headed home Andrew Darmody's corner, so even at the break. Pemberton set up Grant to curl home with his left foot for 2-1 but Soldiers levelled with a Darmody penalty. Ellis Hauman edged Soldiers ahead before Craig Williamson, pushed forward as striker, scored twice, first from 20 yards out and a one on one with Iron's keeper, result 2-5.

Individual errors from Munkley and Mole undermined Brookvale United and, after 30 minutes, were 0-4 down to Bramley United; Simon Goff pounced on a keeper fumble from close range for the first, Ben Squibb headed the second, Ahmet Tuney's corner curled straight in and Stuart Leddy the fourth. A well taken goal by Sam Mosdell gave ‘Vale hope before half time. However, Leddy added Bramley's fifth. Despite Blues reduced to 10 men, in a crazy final 15 minute spell ‘Vale scored three, a deflected strike by Adie Mosdell, followed by a smart finish from Nathan Duncombe and a penalty won by George Sainsbury, converted by Mikey Collier. Last season's runners-up held on in injury time for a narrow 4-5 win.

Team travelled to Chineham after back to back wins but started slow, with Craig Hine giving the ball away just outside his area allowing Chineham's Ashley Perryman to score. Team folded again after intense pressure, MOM Jamie Bugden conceded a penalty converted by Perryman 10 minutes later. Chineham almost made it 3-0 hitting the crossbar. Team regathered, James Tennant latched onto a lovely ball into the channel, outpaced his marker, cut inside but upended for a penalty, which Mitch Taylor coolly slotted in, before half time. Team FC came out a different side for the second half, controlled the pitch, creating chances galore. Brendan Vickery's free kick, from 35 yards, was inch perfect between keeper and defence, and new signing Jamie Hope found the net for his sixth goal in three games. Hope should have won it with a one on one with the keeper on the final whistle, only finding the keeper's outstretched leg. Chineham 2-2 Team.

Eastrop Eagles dominated throughout but found themselves two goals behind thanks to a scrappy goal mouth scramble converted by Ollie Hunt for Tadley Tigers and a sublime own goal by Westley Bush off the stanchion. Eagles pulled one back five minutes into the second half when Kirk Smith left the Tigers' defence in tatters, teeing up Tim Green to score. Eagles dominated the remainder of the game, getting just reward on 89 minutes. Bobbi Frost collected the ball up on the halfway line, played a delightful ball through for Lewis Mitchell to beat the Tigers' defence, coolly passing the keeper for 2-2.

North Warnborough were soundly beaten 0-6 by champions Republic of Chineham, with strikes by Wayne Finn, Harry Rudge, Alistair Brown and Finlay Hall hat-trick.

Camrose Social top Division 2 after a 2-10 victory at South Ham Saints. Charlie Dobson and substitute Sam Besant supplied Saints' response, while Camrose's goal were racked up by Ian Jones and Chris Waller hat-tricks, Ryan Upton and Gareth Slade singles and Ryan Lapton brace.

AFC Basing played well and Adam Gough put them ahead against Basingstoke Saints before half-time with a 25 yard free kick. Callum Silcox struck twice to put Saints 3-0 behind before Liam James replied near the end, 3-1. James took over administering first aid for a Basing head injury during the match.

AFC Laarsens started slowly against New Park Rangers and conceded a sloppy goal early on. Midway through the half Laarsens levelled when Dan Bloma capitalised on a defensive error. Laarsens took the lead when Bloma latched onto a superb through ball from Jubril Borishade. Laarsens missed several chances before New Park levelled. AFC Laarsens grabbed the deserved winner with Cian Condon heading home in the final minute. Dylan Bardell and Jordan Russell scored for New Park Rangers.

Another fightback win for Overton United after Chineham Reserves took the lead after 20 minutes through Alex Izzo. Overton woke up and began winning the midfield battle. Then, 10 minutes before half-time, Scott Winterbourne scored after a sloppy back pass. Overton netted the winner on 48 minutes after Mikey Burry's cross was flicked on by Winterbourne for Ash Shearing's header 2-1. Overton defence and keeper blocked and stopped everything Chineham offered.

Shallow End went down 1-8 to Chineham Cavaliers, whose goals were accrued by Harry Long, Kieron McNab, Bailey Roffey and Matthew Heslin, with braces from Ben Saunders and substitute Sachin Rai.