Back to news

League News

Republic suffer Technical KO

  • 19/09/16
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Basingstoke & District Sunday League Match Reports from Sunday 11th September.

Affini Technology began their Division 1 campaign on Sunday with a slow start, finding themselves two goals down after 10 minutes against Republic of Chineham. However, a brace from Jamie Healy balanced the score at 2-2 before half-time. Affini romped away in the second half, with Nathan Nurse netting twice to take the score to 4-2. A penalty for the visitors reduced the difference to 4-3, but Elliot Cobden made it 5-3 at the end to earn promoted Affini all three points. Ben Nicholls with two and Wayne Finn scored for Republic of Chineham.

Oakley drew 3-3 with Husaria, with Dan Bloma and Myles Englefield among the scorers for Oakley.

The game between FC Basing and Tron was called off on Saturday due to a waterlogged pitch.

The Division 2 tussle between Hampshire Irons and North Warnborough was a memorable one. Jack Miller opened Irons' account in the first minute, and were two ahead before Sean Delfosse's brace levelled 2-2 at the interval. Then three quick goals put Irons in the driving seat, James McIntosh scoring from a Jordan Grant cross, followed by Chris Morris netting from another Grant cross, before Jordan Grant put himself on the score sheet, for 5-2. North Warnborough bounced back with a Rob Loveday hat-trick to level at 5-5. The last five minutes were frantic as both sides hunted victory, the match settled for the hosts just before the final whistle, with Macintosh firing in his second from a Mike Pemberton cross to win 6-5.

Away to AFC Soldiers, Basingstoke Saints put in a great performance, with a penalty save in the first half, good outfield play and a couple of blocks on the hosts' line, the sides going in 0-0 at half-time. Again, Saints put in an improved display in the second half, creating four or five chances to the hosts' couple of efforts, but were eventually undone by a Luke Taylor lob, giving AFC Soldiers a 1-0 victory.

A dream start by Bramley United, with a first minute lead provided by an overhead kick from Stuart Leddy, who earned a second goal from a cross to give the home side a 2-0 advantage at the break. Visitors Chineham got their retaliation in early with a goal in the opening minute of the second half, going on to net three more to win 2-4. Chineham's goals came from Dan Greenwood, Kieron Alleyne with two, and Ben Saunders.

Eastrop Eagles beat UWS 4-0, with braces by Elliott Forsey and Jon Peart. The opener came from a turning shot 20 yards, Peart netted the second following a well-worked move by Micky Fuller, the third goal coming thanks to a Nathan Bennis move, with a long kick from keeper being cleanly put away at the finish for a neat whitewash.

Soldiers Return Reserves top Division 3 on goal difference after a 7-2 win at home against the Rising Sun. Charlie Smith scored during the echo of the starting whistle from 25 yards, then Callum Silcox scored from an acute angle to go in 2-0. Substitute Cobi Judd scored four goals in the second half, his second from the penalty spot. Ricky Attridge and Lewis Mitchell replied for Rising Sun at 3-1 and 4-2, before Judd chalked up another pair and Callum Silcox completed his brace, giving the home side a 7-2 victory.

RAF Odiham Blades beat Chineham Athletic 4-1 to claim second place in the table, with strikes from Tim Hayward, Nathan Jelliman, Aiden Goswell and Myles Easton, with Stephen Owen replying for Athletic.

Despite a Callum Rump brace, DG Athletic went down 2-7 to a strong Camrose Social side. Byron Letch, Mathew Spargo, Matt Foreman, Darren Burt with a brace, Mike Brodie, and a wonder goal from Chris Waller secured the visitors' victory.
Chineham Reserves were a goal up after 20 minutes away at North Warnborough Reserves. Tom Davies equalised in the second half, but a late breakaway won the match for Chineham. David Williamson and Joe Marsh scored the visitors' goals.
Overton United and Team FC shared the points following a 1-1 draw.