Back to news

League News

North Hants ties bring mixed results

  • 21/11/18
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Basingstoke & District League Match Reports from Sunday 18th November, By Tony Spencer.

Team FC started off strongly in the North Hants Senior Cup tie against Division 1 leaders Bramley United on Sunday. Connor McKenzie found himself on the right-hand side of the box, took a touch past one defender, a little dummy past another, then found the bottom corner with a neat finish for 1-0. Bramley levelled from a set piece after dropping the ball at the striker's feet six yards out. Team continued to cause problems on the counter attack and deservedly took the lead from an own goal from a Mark Frost corner, 2-1. Team pressed on and McKenzie ran down the right, skinned his left back, cut in and slid Jamie Hope through one on one to finely slot home — Hope has scored in every game this season. The onslaught continued as Mark Frost was fed the ball out on the left, nutmegged the Bramley Captain and, from the narrowest of angles, curled his shot in off the far corner stanchion, contender for goal of the season for sure. Team came again after an horrendous touch by Team club captain Mitch Taylor in the middle of the park, match day captain Brendan Vickery recovered the situation by playing a beautiful first-time defence-splitting pass over the top to Chatee. The exquisite pass practically guaranteed a goal and Chattee duly obliged by lobbing the out-rushing keeper. Bramley grabbed two late goals to make the contest appear closer than it was, but a sublime save from the Team keeper Brad Nicholson kept the score to 5-3. Bramley United's goals came from Tim Barnett, substitutes Colin Bell and Darren Clift. This was Bramley's fourth defeat in a row after winning their first eight.
Soldiers Return won 1-3 at Monks, with goals from Andrew Darmody, Adam Gibson and Ellis Hauman. This was Soldiers' fifth win on the trot in the last seven games, a dramatic turnaround from only one win in the first five matches.
Mucky Duck hammered Division 1 champs Republic of Chineham 9-1, their first defeat in five games.
Chineham lost 6-2 at FC Wildebeest
North Warnborough found themselves 0-6 down to Tidworth Town in the first 40 minutes, at what point they were reduced down to 10 players, and they were 0-7 at half-time. Boro then put in an excellent second half performance. On 55 minutes Boro conceded a penalty which Michael Sewell saved. Nial Day netted for Boro on 75 minutes and Dan Mellors set up Sulliman Fofane to net with 7 minutes left, the final score line a 2-7 defeat.
Tadley Tigers won a mediocre game at Wherwell Royals 0-1 thanks to Keiron Farmer's 35-yard strike in the bottom corner.
After conceding the first goal 1-0 to hosts Athletico QC and missing a penalty, Kempshott won their North Hants Chris Price Cup 1-6. Cody Burns' penalty was saved as the QC goalkeeper seemed to get in Burns's head moments before he stepped up. Eventually the equaliser came from Jack Sedgwick after the keeper spilled a 30-yard shot from Connor Craig. Burns escaped a handball claim to make it 1-2 at half-time. Second half goals followed from Nathan Maggs direct from a corner, Sedgwick twice to complete his hat-trick and a 30-yard shot from Bradley Dolan shook the netting.
Camrose Social beat AFC Basing 6-3 with goals from Jake Gorman, Ben Woods, Chris Waller, Matt Foreman, Ryan Lupton scored twice. Charlie Dobson scored twice and Kayne Samuel once for Basing.
A Simon Harrison brace helped New Park Rangers win their North Hants John Ward Cup 2-1 against Charlton Royals.
South Ham Saints lost 6-1 at Andover Central.
Overton started the game well but couldn't break Antons defence down and in the 35th min Anton took the lead. Overton made a couple of half-time subs and Nuno Franco coming off the bench set up Scotty Winterbourne to make it 1-1 with a smart free kick. Anton took the lead again before Shane Thorne scored in the 89th min rounding the keeper to make it 2-2. Overton won a penalty with the last kick of the game, but Richie Budds penalty was saved well. Overton finally won on penalties with Gavin Alexander saving 3 penalty’s!
In Division 1 Eastrop Eagles took an early lead against Hampshire Irons when Kirk Smith struck with a 20-yard shot that beat the keeper after Tom Green had won a 50/50 challenge that sat up nicely for Smith's strike. Irons equalised against the run of play 1-1, before Green struck from the edge of the box thanks to Lewis Mitchell chasing down the defence to win the ball for Green. Irons levelled again just before half time. Eagles started the second half poorly and Joe Savage conceded a penalty, although it was excellently saved by Robbie Paul. Savage had a chance to score but blazed over before Irons took a 2-3 lead. Eagles pushed for an equaliser but to no avail. Hampshire Irons' third away win in a row.
Chineham Cavaliers won their Division 2 match 6-2 against Basingstoke Saints.