Back to news

League News

Match Reports from Sunday 1st February

  • 03/02/15
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Soldiers Return Empty Handed

Soldiers Return travelled to AFC Wolversdene to compete in the Andover Presidents Cup Quarter Final. Soldiers took an early lead through Jamie-Lee Galpin and before half-time Alex Izzo doubled the lead to 0-2. But football is never a a game of one half and the home side levelled after the break to 2-2 by the end of 90 minutes. In extra time it took a set-piece to settle the difference between the two sides, AFC Wolversdene scored from a free kick to win the game 3-2 AET.

Dayers Fine Foods visited Kaiser Wessex in their Division 1 match, with the home side going ahead midway through the second half with Andrew Gethings netting a rebound after keeper John Grocock saved his first shot. Alex Brown equalised for Dayers Fine Foods 15 minutes from the end with a header from a free kick. The visitors had chances to complete a perfect comeback in the end stages, including hitting the bar, but couldn't find the winner. Both sides got something out of the game other than a point. For Kaiser, this was the first time this season they've gone two games without defeat; while this was Dayers' first point earned in four games.

Lamb Inn suffered their heaviest defeat of the season by 1-7 against Republic of Chineham, which gave the visitors more than adequate revenge for an earlier league defeat. The result also meant Republic of Chineham leapfrogged Lamb to top the league for the first time.

Oakley stormed to a four goal lead by half-time, finishing the game 5-0, giving them their first home win this season. Visitors Basingstoke Saints played well and created chances, but with two goals conceded in the first five minutes and two more just before half-time effectively finished the game as a contest. Jake McKinnon and Myles Englefield scored braces and Grant Powell a single for Oakley, who were good going forward and fully deserved their victory.

In Division 2, FC Everest beat Hampshire Irons 6-0, completing a league double over the mid-table side. The division leaders are still unbeaten and this was their second clean sheet in a row, and the fourth of the campaign.

New Inn beat Oakley Reserves 4-2 with Brett Denham netting a hat-trick, stretching their run to six games unbeaten.

UWS got the best of a tight tussle against visitors Chineham, beating them 4-3, achieving their first win in five matches. Mark Thompson, Nathan Glasgow and a brace from Jake Williams won the day for UWS, while Finley Thompson, Dave Emerson and Kieron Alleyne netted what turned out to be consolations for Chineham.

Division 3 leaders Eastrop Eagles took a step closer to the title with a 3-1 victory over Chineham Athletic, completing a league double, with goals from Keith Davies, Paul Adams and Ally Crump. Joe Richardson netted Athletic's consolation.

Team FC entertained Soldiers Return Reserves and put the visitors under the cosh immediately with a penalty goal after five minutes. By 25 minutes they were 2-0 ahead. Soldiers tried to retaliate in kind and managed to hit the woodwork twice but found themselves 3-0 down by the interval. Josh Buckingham hit back for Soldiers five minutes into the second half to take the score to 3-1, but it was downhill from then to the finish 7-1 in the hosts' favour. This was Team FC's league double victory over Soldiers.