Back to news

League News

Match Reports from Sunday 8th February

  • 10/02/15
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Tron seventh time unlucky

Soldiers Return and Tron tussled in a Basingstoke Kelvin Cup quarter-finals tie, in what turned out a close-fought match on Sunday that could have gone either way. The home side took the lead midway through the first half when a shot from Ellis Hauman was parried by the Tron's keeper, only for the rebound to fall to Warren Hill to bury it for 1-0. Tron bounced back to 1-1 almost immediately. Jamie Galpin ran onto a through ball, beating the offside trap to see in half time with Soldiers narrowly 2-1 ahead. Not long after the restart, the hosts saw a little daylight, going 3-1 in front with a fine shot from the edge of the area by Alex Izzo. Tron fought back once again to narrow the lead to 3-2, and piled on the pressure looking to level the tie. Soldiers hit them on the break with Izzo's second goal, 4-2. Once more, Tron snapped back to 4-3 soon after and, for the last ten minutes pressed hard and forced Andrew Darmody in goal to make a couple of good saves. Final result 4-3 to Soldiers Return. Tron's scorers were Dave Parry with a brace and Michael Moray. This was the hosts' second win over Tron this season.

Tron are still in two cup semi-finals, the North Hants Senior and the Andover Presidents, this being only their second defeat in seven cup ties so far this season

In Division 1 Basingstoke Saints have had some unlucky results, losing their previous four matches, but it all went well for them this week, with a 3-0 victory over South View, their second win over them this season and their fist clean sheet. Saints played just as positively as they had before but this time they hit the target when it was presented to them and they were 2-0 up by half-time. The first goal came from David Gibson, who is off to America to work and will be sorely missed. Rick Pike added the second with a superb finish. In the second half Saints achieved what they had so often fallen victim to, a quick goal to kill the game. Adam Butler slid the ball into the box and Liam James got on the end to slip the ball into the net. This result lifted Saints above South View in the table.

Kaiser Wessex suffered a 1-5 defeat against league leaders Republic of Chineham, the second time they have surrendered to their visitors this season.

Dayers Fine Foods travelled to Oakley, and played a fairly even match on a heavy pitch, which remained goal-less by half-time. The even state of affairs was maintained until midway through the second half, when the home side opened the scoring from a shot outside the area. However, Alex Brown was brought down in the box at the other end and equalised from the penalty spot. Dayers pressed for a winner but, four minutes from the end, Oakley took the lead and then scored again with the last kick of the game, finishing 3-1. This was the completion of a league double for Oakley.

Chineham and New Inn are Division 2 sides that are both enjoying good recent form and cancelled each other out last time they met. This match was close too, ending 4-5 in New Inn's favour, now extending their run to seven unbeaten games. Matt Tenson and Kieron Alleyne scored braces for Chineham, with Steven Bean getting a hat-trick for New Inn, and Matt Osborne and Tom Skinner adding singles.

FC Everest enjoyed a 4-1 win over RAF Odiham Blades.

North Warnborough Two were ahead at Oakley Reserves after 15 minutes with Trevor Rogers opening the scoring. Andy Parker added to the tally following a one on one a few minutes before the interval. Starting the second half two goals ahead, within ten minutes they extended their lead through Ryan Thorpe, who made it 0-4 on 70 minutes from a Thorpe penalty.

Basing United have resigned from the league and their record expunged from Division 3.

Aaron Burt netted a goal for AFC Golden Lion, but it proved a consolation as visitors Team FC racked up six goals 1-6, their third win on the trot and the league double over their rivals. Ryan Stevens, Luke Chattley, Brendan Vickery with a brace and Luke Vickery, scored for Team.

Soldiers Return Reserves and Eastrop Eagles contested their match from start to finish, with the match still scoreless at the break. Eagles were the better side in the first half, they retained the ball better and had chances despite not scoring. It was much the same in the second half until Matt Buckingham was tackled in the area and Soldiers were awarded a penalty, which Pawel Derbot buried for the home side. But Eagles continued to play football and Keith Davies pulled that deficit back just ten minutes later. It was Eagles' Bobby Frost who got the final touch from a corner to score the winner with the last kick of the game, which finished 1-2. The victory secured for Eagles the Division 3 Championship.