Back to news

League News

Match Reports from Sunday 28th September

  • 30/09/14
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Saints find room at the Inn

Lamb Inn's first half 3-0 lead held firm until 20 minutes from the end before Basingstoke Saints were able to reduce the deficit on Sunday, writes Tony Spencer. Reece Chapman opened the scoring for the Division 1 leaders from a tight angle, Ashley Elwood got the second in a one on one on the keeper, then Mark Howell netted from a Ben Nicholls' cross to take Lamb 3-0 into the interval. Lamb Inn had won their opening three matches, surely with 20 minutes left the points were in the bag? Basingstoke Saints came back strongly after 70 minutes with Liam James making the initial breakthrough, then substitute Omer Fazal came off the bench to fire in an unstoppable right foot shot from close range. Then, right at the death, the comeback equaliser was buried by Jamie O'Toole, who popped up in the box. The final score for 3-3, giving Saints their first point and first dropped points for Lamb. Plenty of character and fighting spirit shown by the Saints in coming back, and fully deserved their point.

Sean Condon chalked up a hat-trick for Oakley at Newfound, but ended up on the losing side. Michael Buckley added another goal but visitors Soldiers Return ran out 4-8 winners. Andrew Darmody put the visitors ahead after 10 minutes from a free kick, Jamie Gilpin and Freddie Cloke sent Soldiers three ahead in the 13th and 18th minutes. Oakley pulled two goals back but the visitors restored their cushion with two strikes Either side of the interval. Oakley reduced the margin to two goals again before two late goals in the 80th and 85th minutes made the game safe. Cloke completed his hat-trick with a goal and a penalty, Alex Izzo a brace and goal by Andy Butler. Soldiers Return made the most of Lamb Inn's slip up to go top of the table on goal difference.

Tron drew 2-2 with Republic of Chineham, Tron's goals from David Parry and a Chris Morris penalty.

Kaiser Wessex enjoyed a 2-1 victory over South View.

Hampshire Irons drew their Division 2 match with Chineham 1-1. The visitors struck first as Shane West netted, with Stephen Bown equalising 1-1 before half-time. Bown hit the crossbar with a bullet header in the second half, while the crossbar denied Chineham a victory with five minutes left. Final score 1-1.

North Warnborough Two enjoyed a competitive but fair game against visitors New Inn, with good chances created by either side. The hosts took the lead 1-0 after Joss Chippingdon picked out Billy Shepherd to score the only goal of the first half with a header. New Inn staged a fightback to level 1-1, before Trevor Rogers netted a fine shot following a breakaway from midfield. The visitors levelled, then took the lead for the first time, 2-3. In a late run from midfield once more, Rogers got his second to level the result at 3-3.

FC Everest beat Oakley Reserves 4-3 To retain top spot in the division.

RAF Odiham Blades earned their first point with a 3-3 home draw against UWS.

Leaders Eastrop Eagles were two goals down to visitors Chineham Reserves at half-time in their Division 3 match. However, Eagles fought back in the last half, to save their unbeaten record, with a Keith Davies hat-trick, the second from a cross by Michael Fuller and from the penalty spot for the third, the final score 3-3. Chineham Reserves' scorers were Joe Marsh, Kyle Buckland and Tyler Andrews.

DG Athletic lost 3-5 to visitors Basing United. DG's efforts were converted into goals by Callum Howson, Liam Harvey and a Richie Budd penalty.

Soldiers Return Reserves put seven goals past AFC Golden Lion without reply. Connor Izzo opened the scoring After 12 minutes, latching onto a poor core acne and taking the ball round the keeper. Sam Loughlan added the second on the half-hour mark with a half-volley and converted from the spot for his second. Jay Wild added two more goals to lead 5-0 at the break. Golden Lion applied more pressure for the first fifteen minutes of the second half but Wild completed his hat-trick and Ben Allnutt finished off the victory with a header.

Team FC and Chineham Athletic drew 3-3. Goals coming from Ben Owen, Dan Bloomer and Dale Hooper.