Back to news

League News

Matchday Report for Saturday 12.10.2019

  • 13/10/19
  • By Brian Rowe
Football image

Matchday Report

Report for Week Ending Saturday 12.10.2019

Four League games and a County Cup game were scheduled for this week.

On the League front all of the top three were in action, with leaders Sporting Rebels away at mid table Stoke by Nayland, and they march on undefeated at the top with another victory, this time 3-0. Second placed Abbey Fields hosted the third placed side Ramsey & Mistley 1st team in what was expected to be the game of the day, and it was the visitors who left with the points and a 5-2 victory after leading 2-1 at the break, swapping places with their hosts to go second by a single goal better goal difference. On the Ramsey score sheet were Ben Allington, Stewart McFarlane and Christopher Stratton with a hat trick. The other League game played featured Mersea Island Reserves hosting a much improved Parkeston Welfare Park. Although the first half was a somewhat scrappy affair, Parkeston, however took a 2-0 lead into the break through Jamie Cook, who in the twenty first minute won the ball in mid field and went on to run through a high Mersea defence before slotting past their keeper to score. Adding his second on thirty-seven minutes tapping home after a goal mouth melee. Mersea looked sharper in the second half and it was no surprise when just a minute after coming on as an injury substitute Josh Whiting netted in the fifty fourth minute following up on a loose ball after a save from the Parkeston keeper. Parkeston earned their win with their workman like performance when captain Robbie Connah headed home a corner in the sixty ninth minute. The other scheduled game, Tiptree Engaine ‘A’ at home to Ramsey & Mistley Reserves was postponed just ninety minutes prior to the scheduled kick off time, with the pitch still waterlogged after the mornings rain.

The County Cup game was a Second Round Essex Junior Cup game with Langham Lodgers visiting the second placed Division One Border League side FC Clacton Reserves. Langham were losing 2-0 at the break but pulled back the score line back to 2-2 with goals from Jason Gray and Daniel Stevens only to concede in the last few minutes to lose the game 3-2.